INTERNATIONAL CANADIAN SCHOLARSHIP
Samuel Jackman Prescod Polytechnic is very pleased to announce an excellent scholarship opportunity for students interested to study Information Technology for two semesters at Nova Scotia Community College (www.nscc.ca).
Funding for this scholarship program is provided by the Government of Canada as part of the Canada-CARICOM Leadership Scholarships Program.
The goal of the above program is to support the development of human capital and a next generation of Leaders in the Caribbean while strengthening the linkages between Canadian post-secondary institutions and the ones in the Caribbean.
The available program at Nova Scotia Community College is the Information Technology Program offered at the Truro Campus, namely the following two second-year concentrations – Systems Management/Networking and Web Development. SJPP IT students can apply for one scholarship of two semesters (scholarship of Cdn$15,000 per student). Students are expected to start their study at NSCC in September 2011.
Nova Scotia Community College must apply for the scholarships on behalf of the students. The Canadian Government will not accept applications submitted directly by students or exchange partner institutions (foreign institutions).
- Students must be currently enrolled full-time at Samuel Jackman Prescod Polytechnic in the first year of an information technology program. During their stay in Canada students will be paying tuition fees at Samuel Jackman Prescod Polytechnic for the full duration of the exchange.
- Anyone who has obtained Canadian citizenship or who has applied or is planning to apply for permanent residency in Canada is not eligible for this scholarship. Students already participating in an exchange program in Canada are not eligible. Students already enrolled in a college or university program at a Canadian university or college are not eligible. Priority will be given to candidates who have not previously participated in a Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) student exchange program.
- Awards are conditional on receipt of the appropriate visa for the student’s stay in Canada.
- A participant in this program cannot normally hold any other major scholarship or scholarship. The scholarship will be paid by cheque made out and mailed to the Canadian university or college and not to the student.
- 19 years of age or over.
- Student must be good academic standing.
Visa and immigration expenses, economy round-trip airfare, health insurance, monthly living allowance of at least $1,200 (prorated for partial months), required books, supplies and equipment (not computers). Tuition is NOT an allowable expense; it is expected that exchange students continue to pay tuition to their home institution.
Ministry of Environment and Drainage’s (MED)
The MED is desirous of providing partial scholarships to the top two performing Part time and Full time students respectively enrolled in their second year of study within the SJPP’s Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (RAC) programme and who meet any additional criteria that the management of the SJPP deems appropriate.
The details of the proposed award are as follows:
i. Nine hundred dollars (BB$900.00) to be awarded to each of the qualifying Part time
students in their second year of study in the RAC programme; and
ii. Five hundred and five dollars (BB$505.00) will be awarded to each of the qualifying
Full time students in their second year of study in the RAC Programme.
HIPAC LIMITED Scholarship in Agriculture
ELIGIBILTY AND FIELD OF STUDY:
- The scholarship shall be available to a Barbadian national who has gained admission to be a full-time student of the Samuel Jackman Prescod Polytechnic.
- The scholarship shall be awarded on the basis of academic merit. Consideration will be given to financial need.
- The successful candidate must be under the age of 30 years on 1st September in the year of the award. He/she must have successfully completed Level 1 Basic Agriculture of the programme with at least a B average and should be entering Level 2 of the programme.
DURATION OF AWARD:
- The scholarship shall be for a period of TWO YEARS.
VALUE OF AWARD:
- The annual value of the award shall be a maximum of BDS $ 1,500.00. The total value of the 2 year award shall be a maximum of BDS $3,000.00 and shall be used to assist in meeting the student’s fees, books, tools & equipment and approved incidental expenses.
The Caribbean Catalyst Annual Memorial Kregg Nurse Scholarship
The Caribbean Catalyst Annual Memorial Kregg Nurse Scholarship is awarded to a student with a disability who has successfully completed at least one year of post-secondary school education in any field, and is continuing his/her formal education at a recognised tertiary educational institution.
Application forms can be collected from
- Caribbean Catalyst Inc.,
- The Barbados Council for the Disabled
- The National Disabilities Unit
- Or Downloaded from www.caribbeancatalyst.com
Barbados Public Workers’ Co-operative Credit Union Limited
Verta Coppin Memorial Scholarships
The Barbados Public Workers’ Co-operative Credit Union Limited is pleased to announce scholarships to member students of the Samuel Jackman Prescod Institute of Technology who are pursuing any Technical/Vocational areas of study. Selection of awardees shall be based on performance merit and evidence of financial need.
These scholarships will be awarded as follows:
- One 1 year programme awarded $1500
- Two 2 year programme awarded $2000 each
- One 2 year programme awarded $2500 each
Contact the office of the Guidance Officer or the Credit Union (www.publicworkers.bb) for further details.
BWU CO-OPERATIVE CREDIT UNION LIMITED
The BWU Co-operative Credit Union Limited will be offering scholarships to persons between the ages of 17 – 20 who meet the following criteria:
- Student of the Samuel Jackman Prescod Institute of Technology
- Member of the credit union for at least 2 years prior to sitting exams
- Must have a minimum of $250.00 on account prior to sitting exams
- Must be of good academic standing
- Must provide a copy of exam results
- Must have a minimum 3.0 GPA