PRIOR LEARNING ASSESSMENT AND RECOGNITION – PLAR
GET CERTIFIED FOR SKILLS YOU ALREADY HAVE!
Take the self-assessment survey and find out if you qualify!
Prior Learning assessment and recognition allows the learner to demonstrate, identify and document any learning gained through formal, non-formal and informal learning
What Is Formal, Informal And Non-Formal Learning
Formal learning occurs in an organised and structured environment (a school/training centre or on the job) leads to certification
Informal learning results from daily activities related to work or leisure. Task is not organised or have structured objectives, time or learning support. It does not lead to certification
Non-formal learning an educational activity with clear learning outcomes taking place out of the educational institution and do not lead to credit (seminar/workshop)
There are different reasons why individuals do PLAR.
- personal development
- access to further learning
- career change
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS of the PLAR To the employer?
- Reduces time away from production
- Improves skills in the workplace
- Validates employees value and experience
- Determines/diagnoses skills levels
- Assists in planning of skills programmes
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS to the learner?
- Reduces duplication of learning
- Enables completion of formal studies in a shorter time period
- Increases opportunities for return learning
- Identification of gaps in learners competence in terms of a qualification
- Improve self esteem
How the PLAR process work:-We look at
- past jobs
- life experience
- samples of your work
- any industry representative endorsements related learning experiences,
- completed national qualification
- Academic Records
- Endorsed photographs of work undertaken or produced
- Specific evidence as identified by assessor
- task/job sheets/log books
- Membership of relevant professional associations
- Industry awards/certificates/results of assessment
- Site training records
We use methods to establish competency against the learning outcomes OR National/Caribbean Occupational standards and offer qualification recognition based on the level of competency.